Christie: 'People will be held responsible'
By ELIZABETH TITUS and MAGGIE HABERMAN
| 1/8/14 4:50 PM EST
New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie said Wednesday he is “outraged” by newly released documents linking a senior member of his staff to the closure of lanes on a major bridge in September — shutdowns that caused massive traffic jams and sparked allegations that the closures were the result of political retribution.
The Republican, a likely 2016 presidential candidate, vowed that “people will be held responsible for their actions.”
“What I’ve seen today for the first time is unacceptable,” Christie said in a written statement provided by his office Wednesday afternoon, the first comments the governor has made since the explosive documents emerged earlier in the day, prompting him to cancel a public event.
“I am outraged and deeply saddened to learn that not only was I misled by a member of my staff, but this completely inappropriate and unsanctioned conduct was made without my knowledge. One thing is clear: this type of behavior is unacceptable and I will not tolerate it because the people of New Jersey deserve better. This behavior is not representative of me or my Administration in any way, and people will be held responsible for their actions.”
Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/01/chris-christie-aides-bridge-emails-101897.html#ixzz2pqYTmMpE